Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Cinema Saturday Challenge..Australia!!


I am excited to have the chance to do another design for the Cinema Saturday Challenge. This week the movie is Australia. I had never seen this film.. BOY, am I glad that gals over at the challenge created this challenge as this movie was powerful in sooo many ways!

The movie is a long one but there is so much packed into it. It is a story of survival, heart break, war, romance,over coming the odds, and discrimination, but most of all the word LOVE presents its self over and over. I was sooooo touched by the relationship between Lady Sarah Ashley and the child..Nullah. I was so heart warmed by her love for this child. I don't THINK that Lady Sarah was a "kid" person in the beginning of the film. But as the movie progressed..she found a love inside her that was something she could not ignore. I found this to touch me in a very personal way. Being a mother of a wonderful little boy, adopted from the other side of the world..I can relate to the love she felt for the "stranger" that was her beloved son. A mothers love is a very powerful thing...that was captured in Ashley's struggle to keep Nullah safe.

For my project....I wanted to capture the love of finding a child that you love dearly in a land that is nothing like the one you know. I illustrated a Digital stamp that has three sweet little children on it. The children are from all parts of the world..the movie had many different nationalities represented. They are all holding hands and standing on top of the Earth...united at one. I added the Bluebirds holding the string to represent the Wizard of Oz tie in. The phrase in Over the Rainbow.."Where Bluebirds Sing...". I wanted to include that song in my design..it just seemed like such a large part of the story. I colored the digital Stamp with colored pencils. We were to use Kraft in our designs..I used Kraft in my card frame and on the Love sentiment on the world.



I love the way the movie makes you think about treating everyone equal. It also showed the sadness of living in a world were humans are not treated equal. The part where the children were sent to that island..was just about as tragic as I could take. I have to say, I was surprised at the way the movie ended as the little boy did something (I don't want to spoil it) that I was not expecting. All in all this is a wonderful Epic movie. I am so happy I found it through the Cinema Challenge. Thank you to Brooke and Sankari for picking such a touching film to highlight!




Oh..it was not bad looking at the hunky Hugh Jackman for three hours either. That is something that came very easy for me! Tee hee!!



You can find the newest Pixie Dust Stamp in my shop!Children of the World

11 comments:

Handmade Creations by Stephanie said...

Omg, another fabulous card and I just love the image!!!TFS!!!

Lisa said...

Beautiful card! Love everything about it!!!!!!!

scrapperjulia said...

This is an awesome card! Love the children of the world theme!

Jessy said...

OMG, Kathy!! This is a fabulous card and I LOOOOOOVE that image!! Eeeek. :-)

marsha said...

This is so adorable! What a fabulous image - I love the children of the world holding hands. This would be great for Sunday School and Bible school too!
Hugs, Marsha

Jaspere said...

Wow this is fabulous! Love that cute image and your coloring is perfection.

Juli Smith, SU! Demo said...

Adorable!

Anary said...

Cutie pies!

Tethered2Home said...

Wow! The detail in your colouring is unbelievable. So beautiful with the layers too.

Brooke S said...

OK Kathy can we say Adorable.. You totally yanked at my heart strings... I love the inspiration for the kids... I agree this movie has sooooo many powerful messages in it.. You are the Queen. I can't believe all the adorable sketches you are coming up with for our challenges these are some of my favorites that you have... I can't wait to see what you do for your next... You are just amazing...
HUGS
Brooke

Nancy K said...

Your image is adorable! I love how you made such a personal connection with the film -thanks for sharing.